5 Alarm Fire at Pasco Trailer Park Likely Caused by Old Wiring
A trailer fire in Pasco's Flamingo Village Mobile Home Park around 3 p.m. Tuesday was likely caused by dated electrical wiring, said park manager Angela Watkins.
The fire destroyed the home. No one was home. A 30-year-old woman and her husband -- both at work when the fire started -- were the occupants. Fire fighters were unsure of the cause.
The home was likely built in the mid-1960s, Watkins said. It was only worth about $500. The park saw two fires in 2012 -- both in aged trailers, both caused by electrical problems.
Minerva Torres, another park resident and sister to the owner of the burnt trailer, said her sister was at work when she heard the news. Aside from family photographs and personal items, she was most distressed over a brand-new bedroom set and being homeless.
Although her sister had maintained home insurance for most of the three years she'd been in the park, she had recently allowed it to lapse.
Pasco police shut down the street where 28th Avenue and A Street intersect to give space to the fire hoses just as school buses arrived to drop kids off for the afternoon. Traffic congestion was quickly becoming a problem for the neighborhood.
View Flamingo Village in a larger map