Richland School District Fires Superintendent for Sex Scandal
The Richland School District has fired Dr. Jim Busey, it announced today.The district, following a lengthy investigation found Dr. Busey violated the terms of his contract by engaging in the following behaviors:
- Engaged in a long-standing extramarital affair with an RSD employee who was his subordinate.
- Pursued another romantic relationship with another RSD employee whom he met at work.
- Used school district property and equipment for inappropriate personal reasons.
- His actions caused a negative, disruptive influence at Jefferson Elementary School. negatively impacting the staff.
- During the investigation, Dr. Busey threatened to misrepresent information to the news media.
School board officials say the termination is immediate, and there will be no buyout of Dr. Busey’s contract.
Dr. Busey had been placed on paid leave last December while the investigation was underway; the allegations were first brought to light in September. Busey had assumed the role of Richland Superintendent since June 2010 when he replaced the retiring Dr. Jean Lane.
Richland officials did not immediately indicate when the search for a new leader would begin. Additional information is expected to be released this week.