Woman Injured After Mistaking Dynamite for a Candle
During a recent power outage, a woman was seriously hurt after grabbing and lighting what she believed was a candle. A story that sounds like it came from the Looney Tunes ACME factory is in fact from Bridgeport, Conn. Instead of a candle, it was a quarter stick of dynamite. The family had planned on buying supplies after a recent thunderstorm, but remembered that the previous homeowner had left supplies and candles (they thought) downstairs in the basement.
The 30-year-old victim suffered severe injuries to her hands and face that may result in losing some of her fingers. Her husband and two children were home, but not injured in the blast. Authorities evacuated the house and nearby homes as a precaution and searched and disposed of explosive devices that were found.