City of Richland Shares Fireworks Safety Message
Richland is one of our cities that allows the 4th of July fireworks but the City wants to remind you that if you live in Richland, there are still guidelines that must be followed to keep everyone safe.
The City of Richland released a press release discussing the safety guidelines that the city is taking for 2020. Here is a listing of what the guidelines are:
Fire prevention efforts:
The Richland Parks & Facilities crews have reviewed mowing practices in the parks and created firebreaks in the highest risk areas. In addition, sprinklers are scheduled, and staff pre-water high volume park areas.
This year, due to increased fire danger, Glenwood Overlook Park in south Richland will be closed beginning Friday, July 3, from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m. Saturday, July 4, and again Saturday from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 5.
Patrol and enforcement:
Richland Police will be patrolling parks and neighborhoods. Violations may result in a $250 fine and confiscation of illegal fireworks.
Fireworks safety tips:
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby
- Be aware of dry/windy conditions
- Never allow children to play or ignite fireworks and keep children at a safe distance
- Only light one firework at a time and then move back quickly
- Only light fireworks outdoors and on a smooth flat service away from the house, dry leaves and flammable materials
- Always buy fireworks from a reliable source – if you buy them in Richland they are legal in Richland
- Be aware of your neighbors, their pets and their families
- Safely dispose of used fireworks
- Do not light fireworks outside of designated hours
Fireworks clean up:
Did you know our streets and parks crews work overtime on July 5 to clean our parks and streets? Please do your part and safely dispose of fireworks and other waste in garbage receptacles.
For more information regarding fireworks in Richland, visit www.ci.richland.wa.us/fireworks.
I'm looking forward to a great 4th of July so let's be safe out there and enjoy your weekend.