Kennewick School District Adds 3 Hour Delay Option This Winter
With the crazy winter and record breaking school delays and closures last year, Kennewick School District is implementing a three-hour delay option for the 2017-18 school year. Here's how it will work:
Kennewick School District may close or delay school in the event of snow, ice or other emergencies.
NEW 3-HOUR DELAY OPTION: To provide more opportunities for the district to hold school, a 3-hour delay option has been added for the 2017-18 school year. This option will only be considered if the district has missed a significant number of school days already.
Every effort is made to announce closures or delays by 6 a.m. If conditions change after the decision is made to delay school, it is possible that the district may cancel school. We will try to make a final decision by 7:30 a.m., or shortly thereafter. If changed, an updated alert will be sent out as soon as possible.
If there is no mention on the district website of delays or closures, schools are running on time.
Road conditions in the district can vary depending on where you live. We support a parent’s or guardian’s decision to pick their child up early or to not send their child to school. Absences will be considered excused with a signed note.
2-Hour or 3-Hour Delay
- Once decided, a 2-hour delay will not switch to a 3-hour delay. There is still the possibility it could change to a closure if conditions worsen.
- If school is delayed, buses will run on either a 2 or 3-hour delay as specified.
- Breakfast is canceled.
- AM ECEAP classes are canceled.
- AM Tri-Tech Skills Center classes are canceled.
- AM Keewaydin Discovery Center classes are canceled.
- High school zero-hour classes are canceled.
- K-8 Early Release Wednesdays: If a 3-hour delay occurs on a Wednesday, elementary and middle school early release is canceled and students only will get out at the regular time. A two-hour delay will still be an early release.
- 9-12 Early Release Wednesdays: If a 2 or 3-hour delay occurs on a high school early release Wednesday, the early release is canceled and high school students only will get out at the regular time.