Motorcross is Quality Family Time — Arenacross is Next Weekend
At a certain point in every parent's life they find that their kids no longer want to spend time with them (voluntarily). That's when it's time to start a new family hobby everyone will enjoy. Eric Waunch teaches motorcross camps and has six reasons why it's the best family sport ever invented.
1. No Age Limit. Waunch has taught kids as young as four and a half and adults as old as 65.
2. With proper protective gear and training it's as safe as every other outdoor sport.
3. There are several nearby courses -- no driving hours to somewhere like a ski resort.
4. Once you have all the equipment, the only expense is gasoline. No $80 lift tickets.
5. It's a sport you can enjoy your entire life. You don't need a team and you don't outgrow it.
6. It's a sport that's enjoyable to every age level and gender.
To get started, Waunch recommends signing up for a camp and renting a few different bikes to find one that works for your size. His next Tri-Cities camp will be at Horn Rapids in March -- dates are not set yet so visit www.ewmxschools.com to learn more. He recommends entry-level trail bikes for beginners. The best brands are Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki.
If a mom would like to take up motorcross as a mommy-daughter activity, Waunch teaches women-only camps, as well. To see motorcross pros in action, take your family to Arenacross next weekend (Jan. 6-7) at the Pasco TRAC. Tickets are sold at the TRAC box office. Visit the WHR site for more details.
For an idea of how easy motorcross is to learn, check out these Youtube lessons: