How Can Something So Beautiful Be So Toxic To Admiring Fans? [VIDEO]
WARNING! You can look, but don't touch!
Stong words are needed as a warning to stay away from beautiful items that are toxic. Flowering beautiful plants can be dangerous to our pets! You know the quote: “Even the most beautiful things can be toxic.” (Jodi Picoult.)
Did you know mistletoe is toxic?
According to Lovethegarden.com:
Mistletoe IS poisonous, although it is doubtful as to whether it will actually cause death. All parts of the plant are toxic (that’s berries, stems, and leaves). The Mistletoe plant contains Phoratoxin and Viscotoxin, which are both poisonous proteins when ingested. With over 1500 varieties of Mistletoe in the world, some are more toxic than others.
It's TRUE! The most beautiful things are toxic.
Oleander...Many beautiful flowers are poisonous. Wikipedia has the list.
Pufferfish, not quite as stunning as oleander, but colorful. The poison in one pufferfish can take out 30 people, yet people do eat it. It's considered a prized dish in Japan. prepared by specially trained, licensed chefs.
Poison Ivy. Although, not really poisonous, the leaves have a sticky oil. Children are warned to stay away from the plant because when touched, the oil causes an itchy blistering rash.
But what about this beauty my neighbor found?
I found this plant in my yard. I had no idea what it was. I used an app on my phone to identify it. It’s myrtle spurge. It’s a very bad toxic plant that has sap that can cause burns on your skin. I had never heard of this plant before or anyone in this area dealing with it. I have safely removed it from my yard. Have you ever seen this plant in the area before?
Myrtle Spurge is pretty, but TOXIC if ingested by humans and animals. Remove the dangerous plant. Be sure to wear gloves, as the milky white sap can severely irritate skin and eyes.