Power Pole Catches Aflame, Fire Fighters Told to Just Enjoy the Show
An electrical explosion caused a power pole to catch on fire near Pilot Rock, near Pendleton. Ironically, it may have been caused by the rain. Anyway, Pendleton and tribal fire fighters arrived, but were told to just watch the blaze and control traffic.
Apparently there is high risk of electrocution or further explosion, or worsening damage, so only utility company employees are supposed to touch the tops of power poles.
And considering it was a rural area, it took awhile for the utility company to arrive. In the meantime, fire fighters just closed roads and watched the torch.