Feds Denying a Suspect in Custody for Boston Bombings
BOSTON (AP) — Police and reporters have converged on the federal courthouse in Boston -- amid conflicting reports on whether a suspect is in custody in the bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 at the Boston Marathon.
Several media outlets had reported earlier in the day that a suspect was identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts.
EARLIER TODAY: A law enforcement official told The Associated Press that a suspect is in custody and that the suspect is expected in federal court. But the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston say no arrests have been made.
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says a suspect has been taken into custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday. The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation.
The official says the suspect is expected in federal court in Boston.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.
Story by Denise Lavoie