Cigarette or Lighter Blamed for Kennewick House Fire
Fire badly damaged home
Kennewick Fire Officials say it's likely a cigarette of some sort of torch or lighter device is responsible for a fire that badly damaged a home Sunday night.
Around 10PM crews were called to a the home in the 3900 block of West 12th for a report of the blaze. The area is just East of the Desert Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery, and just south of 10th Ave.
Upon arrival flames and smoke were clearly seen billowing from the home. Fire Crews and Police said they contacted the homeowner and confirmed everyone inside get out OK. No word as to how many people were in the home at the time of the blaze.
Investigators believe it was a lit cigarette or lighter of some type that was left unattended after the user fell asleep.
Fire crews and Police this is a good reminder to make sure all flammable sources are out or turned off before retiring, and to check smoke detectors and ensure they're in proper working order. Many suggest doing it in conjunction with turning clocks forward in the spring, and back in the fall when you're adjusting clocks.
No word on the exact damage to the home, but it appeared the roof and at least one end were badly damaged; although the flames were quickly extinguished.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Here's a look at some othe blazes in our area, some from earlier this year, some from 2020. Some suspcious, believed to be arson.
Mid Columbia Fires