Winter Travel-Are You Prepared?
Winter has definitely arrived in our area, of course, with all the snow in the upper elevations, making travel difficult at times. Do you have the necessary items in your vehicle for safe travel?
WSDOT recommends having the following in your vehicle.
Winter driving tips
- Drive for conditions: slower speeds, slower acceleration, leave extra space between vehicles, give yourself more time and space to stop
- Check to see if you have traction tires & chains
- Know what the traction and chain requirements mean
- Watch a video to learn how to install tire chains
- Do not use cruise control
- Four-wheel and all-wheel vehicles do not stop or steer better on ice
- Leave extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. And remember, the larger the vehicle, the longer the stopping distance
- Slow down when approaching intersections, offramps, bridges, or shady spots
- If you find yourself behind a snowplow, slow down and give the plow a little extra room
- Slow down and be extra cautious near the chain-up and removal areas. There are often people out of their vehicles
Watch the WSDOT video on how to apply chains to your vehicle below.
Here's to safe traveling!
Enter your number to get our free mobile app