Imagine pulling over on the side of the road to help someone to end up badly poisoned and naked on the freeway in winter. Two women say 9-1-1 dispatchers could have prevented it.

Later they learned the reason no emergency responders were on the scene was the truck was carrying, and had spilled everywhere, a fatal poison called tetramethylammonium hydroxide.

After making sure the driver was stable, they went looking for help. That's when they discovered authorities who ordered them to strip naked while they hosed them off in the middle of winter.

Because of their time helping the driver, the women now endure severe headaches, vomiting, nausea, hair loss, eye pain, vision problems, shooting chest pains, wheezing and coughing. The vehicle had to be incinerated.

They asked for $4,500 for medical expenses and $200,000 for pain and humiliation. The women say the 9-1-1 dispatcher could have warned them about the danger.

Oregon settled with the women for $100,000 each.


More From 97.1 KXRX